2005 Thunderhead Trainings
San Francisco, CA • October 21-23, 2005
The only focused professional development training series
for leaders of bicycle and pedestrian advocacy organizations.
Join your peers to learn from expert trainers and each other through Thunderhead’s proven curriculum on choosing, directing, and winning campaigns to promote complete streets, where walking and bicycling are safe and commonplace.
After a single weekend of fun and inspiring work with the country’s leading experts in advocacy, you’ll come away with the tools and confidence to be a leader in your community – one who knows not just how to advocate for improvements, but win them!
With expert guidance, you’ll go step-by-step through the Thunderhead Campaign Workbook, learning how to:
• choose a winning issue (it’s not just about winning, but winning smart, and winning big)
• set realistic but visionary goals, choose the best strategies and tactics, and stick to timelines
• understand the power structure in your community, supporting and leveraging allies, neutralizing and converting enemies!
• communicate effectively, reaching the right audience with the right message through the right media…and
• raise money, to strengthen your organization for the next bigger victory!
In the end, you’ll have a detailed campaign plan, and a completed campaign blueprint that will assure not just a victorious campaign, but set your organization up for greater victories in the future.
See the schedule
* Registration includes Friday’s reception, and Saturday’s breakfast, lunch, and dinner party. Discounts available for additional representative from the same organization.
“It was a how-to kit for influencing public policy: Far from advocates just sitting around telling war stories, the training taught me methods and tactics which I have used on a regular basis. We made it Board policy that at least one Board Member each year attend a Thunderhead Training. If you want your organization to be more effective this is a great place to start.”
– Gary Wysocky, President, Sonoma County Bicycle Coalition.
“What’s unique about the Thunderhead training is that it is custom tailored; everything was applicable to us as a bicycle advocacy group. It’s one of the best things I’ve done as the Executive Director of my organization. Besides, who can beat the fun of traveling to a new city and taking a ride with bicycle advocates from across the nation. If you are feeling bogged down and frustrated by the walls you face in your community, the training will energize you and return you to your home city refreshed and ready to do things with a new perspective.”
– Adam Fukushima, Executive Director, San Luis Obispo County Bicycle Coalition
“As an Executive Director, it feels like there is never enough time to get to everything. From this training, I learned that taking the time to think strategically through a campaign at the beginning gives me a much better chance of getting the result I want and saves me time and effort in the end. Because I have a Master’s Degree in Public Administration and many years of experience, I was afraid that the training would be too basic. It was new information to me, and well worth the time, travel, and cost!”
– Emily Drennen, Acting Executive Director, Walk San Francisco